Assembling a list of all the world's credit rating agencies is a hopeless task, but I have made a furtive effort. My first compilation (ca. Summer 2002) listed 74 entities. Then (ca. Nov-2004) I refined the list to remove a) branches of a parent organization, b) business information services without an analyst's credit rating, some were acquired by the "big three", and c) some that disappeared from Internet searches.
There are also two opposing forces of "consolidating for efficiency" on the one hand versus "emerging market governments putting their own spin on their company's credits" on the other.
Finally, there is a growing trend for mechanical credit scoring gaining more acceptance and application. I see this trend fueled by: a) increased uniformity and electronic reporting of financial information, 2) decreased "name recognition" of borrowers by investor/lenders, as 3) credit becomes more global, and 4) an increased ability to make use of a quantitative value within the growing tide of Credit Value-at-Risk models/systems.
Credit Rating Agencies -- globally ( fixed as of Feb-2006 )
- A.M. Best
- Agence d'Évaluation Financière (ADEF)
- Agusto & Co. Ltd. -- Nigeria
- BRC Investor Services S.A.
- Capital Intelligence Limited with offices in Cyprus and Hong Kong
- Calificadora de Riesgo PCA
- Caribbean Information & Credit Rating Services Limited (CariCRIS)
- Central European Rating Agency (CERA) -- Renamed "Fitch Polska S.A."
- China Lianhe Credit Rating Co. Ltd. -- (China)
- Clasificadora de Riesgo Humphreys Limitada (Chile)
- CMC International -- Nigeria
- Companhia Portuguesa de Rating (CPR)
- CRA Rating Agency (formerly, Czech Rating Agency)
- Credit Rating Agency of Bangladesh Ltd. (CRAB)
- Credit Analysis & Research Ltd (CARE) -- India
- Credit Information Bureau Ltd. (CIB) -- India
- Credit Rating Information and Services, Ltd. (CRISL) -- Bangladesh
CRISIL, Limited -- India Renamed
Formerly known as: "Credit Rating Information Services of India"
- Dagong Global Credit Rating Co., Ltd. -- (China)
- Dominion Bond Rating Service (DBRS)
- Ecuability SA -- (Ecuador)
- Egan-Jones Rating Company -- ( US)
- Equilibrium Clasificadora de Riesgo -- Peru
- European Rating Agency
- Feller Rate Clasificadora de Riesgo -- Chile
- Fitch Ratings
- Duff & Phelps
- Global Credit Rating Co. -- South Africa
- Humphreys Clasificadora de Riesgo -- Chile
- Interfax Rating Agency (IRA) -- Russia
- Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency (ICRA) -- India
- Japan Credit Rating Agency, Ltd. (JCRA) -- Japan
- JCR-VIS Credit Rating Co. Ltd. -- Pakistan
- Korea Investors Service (KIS)
- Malaysian Rating Corporation Berhad
- Moody's Investors Service
- National Information and Credit Evaluation (NICE)
- ONICRA Credit Rating Agency of India Ltd. -- India
- Pacific Credit Rating
- Pakistan Credit Rating Agency (PACRA)
- Philippine Rating Services Corp. -- Philippines
- P.T. Kasnic Credit Rating Indonesia -- Indonesia
- P.T. PEFINDO Credit Rating Indonesia
- Rapid Ratings
- Rating Agency Malaysia Berhad (RAM)
- Rating and Investment Information, Inc. -- Japan
- Ratto-Humphreys Calificadora de Riesgo S.A. (Argentina)
- Rus Ratings -- (Russian)
- Seoul Credit Rating & Information, Inc. -- Korea
- Shanghai Credit Information Services Co., Ltd. -- China
- Shanghai Far East Credit Rating Co., Ltd.
- Slovak Rating Agency
- Sociedad Calificadora de Riesgo Centroamericana SA -- Costa Rica
- Standard and Poors
- Taiwan Ratings Corporation (TCR) -- Taiwan
- Thai Rating and Information Services (TRIS) -- Thailand
- Thompson BankWatch
- VALUE Calificadora de Riesgo, S.A.
- Weiss Ratings Inc.
- Xinhua Far East China Ratings -- (China)
Rating Agencies: Is There an Agency Issue?